Sonobioprocessing, biotransformation and chemistry for renewable chemicals, biofuels and pharmaceuticals
Celbius is a unique green industrial biotechnology, contract research and consultancy organization that combines acoustic energy (10 - 20 kHz) and ultrasound (20 - >100 kHz) assisted processing with fermentation, biocatalysis and bioprocessing for advanced, competitive and proprietary manufacture of pharmaceuticals, pharmaceutical intermediates, fine and specialty chemicals, bioethanol, other biofuels and value-added renewable chemicals.
Acoustic energy and ultrasound assisted processing, or Sonobioprocessing (SBP), can be utilised in a range of industries in order to reduce production and energy costs, increase yields, improving biocatalyst efficiency and improving product purity. Celbius will use its expert technical skills in biocatalysis, fermentation, process chemistry, ultrasonic process engineering and crystallisation to assist clients in the following areas:
- Biorefining - biomass conversion to useful molecules
- First and next generation biofuels including bioethanol
- Biorefining fermentation products / renewable chemicals– for example lactic and succinic acids
- Active pharmaceutical ingredients (APIs) and intermediates
- Specialty fine and commodity chemicals
- Flavours and fragrances
- Industrial and specialty enzymes
- Biocatalysis using whole cell, isolated, purified, immobilised and recombinant enzyme systems
- Natural product extraction
Celbius industrial sonobioprocessing technology utilising proprietary ultrasonic flow-cells in-licenced from Prosonix Ltd (Prosonitron® technology) is designed to be a retrofit to existing manufacturing equipment, fermenters and chemical processing plant. Depending upon the scale of operation processing equipment can be skid mounted and portable for connection to multifarious plant. We work in a typical collaborative manner starting from laboratory Proof of Concept / Process through to pilot studies and manufacturing development.